Friday, August 8, 2008

another manic monday

it was about 6:30 in the morning. i was getting dressed for the day. the Today show was on the TV in the background and I heard the weather lady say it was raining in Midtown Manhatten.

this actually made me quite happy since i had just bought a brand new pair of pink and red plaid rain boots. they were very cute and stylish despite the fact that they came from Walmart and by extension from some sweat shop in Malaysia I'm sure. Putting that aside....

i grabbed them out of my closet along with my red umbrella and went downstairs.

an hour later, after Morning Worship was over and daylight had emerged, I went to the coat room--donned my cute rain boots-- and with umbrella swinging in hand walked confindently out into the lobby thinking I was the cutist, most stylin' girl in the rain. it didn't take me long to notice that no one else had any rain gear--not even an umbrella. in fact, quite a few people were smiling and looking at me. this, of course, was making me feel a little self-conscience. well, maybe they just thought my boots were cute, because they were.

then i looked outside through the glass doors in the lobby. my heart sank.

it wasn't raining.

in fact, to make the humiliation even more complete, the sun had come out and dried up most of the rain that had fallen earlier that morning.

my motto is don't ever let anyone see you sweat it.

i pretended as if i knew it wasn't raining but just prepared for puddles and with mock confidence walked outside with umbrella still swinging in hand.

i tried not to notice peoples eyes look down at my boots as i was walking along a dry sidewalk.

i finally got to the park. 'yes, i've made it half-way to work'.

i decided to walk through the grass to get some rain drops on my boots.

i continued walking...now i was almost there. and then it happened! i felt a drop on my arm!!!

"yes!" I said underneath my breath. finally vindication! all those people that were looking at me and laughing are going to be sorry they didn't have rain boots on this morning.

well, that brief moment of vindication was cut short when I looked up toward the sky and saw that I walked under an air-conditioner.

"nice boots Julee." "ohhhh, you look so cute Julee, too bad it's not raining!"

i had to endure all the comments....and then I finally got to work.

i just had a feeling after the kind of morning i had....this day just wasn't go to be MY day.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww, I love rain boots. Post a picture of them for us!

xox

Vi