Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Bacterias (the little devils)

They've infested me once again. (Had Strep throat last year too). I’m not talking viruses like the cold/flu, although they can be extremely uncomfortable. I’m talking bacterias, which cause you to get high fevers and cause the area of infection to swell up, which just happens to be my throat and neck.
(This next part is not for the weak-stomached. Hey, you all were with me during nursing school, since when have I ever held back the gorey details)?
So the back of my throat looks like the moguls on a ski hill, red bumps all over with yellow drainage coming out. Then my tonsil and nodes on the left side of my neck swelled up.
Sunday I stayed home with a fever and fatigue.
Monday, I drug myself to the Doctor and - since I'm a nurse - he kindly allowed me to extract some drainage from the back of my throat myself with what looks like a long Q-tip so he could culture the yellow stuff and see exactly which family of bacterias infested my throat. Anyway, I also got a set of blood cultures done to see if the bacterias had burrowed their way into my blood stream since I was so weak and had a fever. The jury is still out on that one.
I’ve been at home for a couple days, taking antibiotics, and I’m starting to feel better. Thank god for antibiotics. Take that! you nasty bacterias, ya little devils.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty nasty Julee, but I am glad you are better. Besides being couped up in your room did you watch any good movies? Glad youare back to the land of the living.:)