Hey Everyone! We made it to Germany!!! WooHoo!!! Our flight to Brussels was fine. I blew up my neck pillow, put the airplane headphones on and started watching the in-flight movie, 'The Karate Kid.' Two glasses of wine later it was lights out for me:) It's funny how as a nurse your ear becomes accustomed to emergency - even when you're "asleep." Off in the corner of my brain i faintly heard "If there is a Doctor or Nurse on board please identify yourself to one of the flight attendants." Immediately i woke up from my slumber. Not necessarily wanting to get involved in an onboard emergency I hesitated for about 10 seconds before i stood up, long enough for other medical personnel to volunteer if they happened to be aboard and sure enough about 5 people came forth. I was happy, because the last thing i need to start my vacation is drama.
Ok....so now to Germany. We landed and headed straight for the Black Forest which in Germany they call Schwarzwald. The Romans so named it when they discovered it because from afar the trees look black and the forest itself is very dark and wooded.
How can I even express the beauty I saw when driving through! Large hills - mountains - blanketed with spruce and evergreen trees and decorated with sporadic fields of wild sunflowers, daisies and roses. Little villages of what look like Gingerbread houses nestled on the rich green mountain sides and surrounded by perfectly manicured gardens. Out back you hear the clanging of the cow bells from the pasture and the dongs of the church bells in the early morning. You may walk by a fenced pasture where the friendly sheep follow you as far as they can. And if you live here of course you have your own vineyard and/or orchards of pears and apples! It was amazing to me that not one inch of earth here went untended or uncultivated. I felt like I was in a fairy tale or Disney's Heidi.
When i saw this place, it's the first time in my life that something on earth put a face to what i've always imagined the new system to be like. Where we - our close friends and family - all live in small villages next to each other but we have so much space to cultivate our own food and gardens. It truly reminds of me of paradise here.
Here is my flickr address where i've posted some photos - unfortunately i wanted to post more but i'm at my monthly limit. I'll try to upload more on my blog tomorrow. Stay tuned!! By the way, on my flickr page if you click slideshow in the upper right corner it's a much better view! Ok, bye!

1 comments:
Wow, that photo totally looks like a post card. I just want to run through that field of wildflowers.
Post a Comment